March 23, 2020
The coronavirus pandemic is having a major health and economic impact on the US and Canada. Here are some best practices that you can implement as we continue to face this challenge.
- Service and repair shops have been declared an essential service by the US Department of Homeland Security.
- The declaration of auto shops as essential services remains fluid in Canada, so far New Brunswick, Ontario and PEI have declared auto shops essential services.
- Check with your own state, provincial and federal governing bodies to see how these declarations apply to you
Open for Business
Inform customers through your website, social media, email, on hold messages and other means at your disposal, that you are open for business.
Take steps to follow recommendations by the Center of Disease Control (CDC) to reduce the possible spread of the coronavirus. Steps taken include:
- Promote and offer places for employees and customers to wash their hands, and/or make available hand-sanitizer containing at least 60% alcohol content
- Asking employees / customers who are sick and or feeling ill to stay home.
- Regularly housekeeping, clean and disinfect surfaces, equipment and any other elements used in the business.
- Promote social distancing, where possible, for example try to space out your seating, so that seats are at least 6 feet (2 meters) apart and offer outdoor seating if possible.
Inform customers of all the safety precautions being adopted by your business.
Given the current economic and health conditions, you may choose to limit your business’ store hours.
With a possible reduction in your business’ store hours and many customers unwilling to “shop” for tires and services in store, it is critical that you utilize and promote to your customers the ability for them to “shop” on your website. Through use of TireConnect and our new AutoService by TireConnect solution, your customers will be able to begin the purchasing process from the comfort of their own home.
Contactless Service Options
- Ensure you have a dropbox available and easily visible for customers wishing to limit social interaction.
- Offer payment online, telephone consultation and contactless drop off and pick up
- Go above and beyond: Consider offering either free valet service pick-up and drop-off, or alternatively free Lyft or Uber rides to and from your auto shop.
We hope that this document of best practices serves as a minor asset in helping you get through these challenging times. TireConnect is always here to help, please reach out to us with any questions you may have at 1-888-792-7072 ext 100.